Friday, October 2, 2009

Make-shift Asian

My supply of rice noodles is rapidly depleting. This evening, I made faux-pad thai. I probably should be ashamed of using peanut butter and soy sauce as my main flavors, but college is college and this is the Midwest. I glanced at a couple recipes for pad thai before attempting to concoct my own dish. I didn't have even most of the ingredients for any of the recipes, but it turned out alright.

I am wincing as I write this:
I brown some ground beef with pepper flakes and garlic powder while I cook the noodles. When the noodles are just right but not overdone, I put them in the pan with the beef. [Note to self: add more oil next time -- I had a few too many noodles turn into insta-crust]
Here goes the peanut butter! [Only half a teaspoon or so, so it doesn't taste like a peanut butter sandwich gone awry.]
I add an egg and stir gently.
A couple dashes of soy sauce and a bit of white vinegar finish my main dish.
I top with bean sprouts, chopped peanuts, basil, and green onions. I would not attempt this without the green onions.

I long for fresh vegetables at school. The vegetable of the year last year was kale, cheap and green at $0.79 a bunch. It was perfect. Since I have a kitchen available this year, I intend to do more cooking. This means I will need to have more fresh ingredients on hand, so I search out the longest lasting, most versatile, and cheapest vegetables. I splurged with my purchase of bean sprouts: expensive, very short life, and best in Asian food. A bottle of lime juice would probably serve me well. Green onions, onions, carrots, and whatever kind of greens were on sale made the cut.

My Thai inspired dinner was a reminder to me of why I love my favorite Thai Restaurant so much.

1 comment:

Chicago Chic said...

This sounds delicious! I'm so glad I found your blog.